Where to Stay
See below for more info, and please don’t hesitate to get in touch at [email protected] if you have any questions not covered here.
Scroll through slideshow
When making your travel arrangements, book your flight to Chennai International Airport (MAA). Chennai is approximately 140km north of Auroville.
From Chennai airport, the best way to get to Auroville is by taxi. We can arrange a taxi ride for you upon request. The cost is approximately €40 one way.
It’s also possible to travel from Chennai Airport to Auroville by public bus. The trip from the airport to Bala Yoga School will take about five to six hours.
You’ll first need to get from the airport to CMBT (Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus) via metro, bus, tuk tuk or by taxi. From CMBT, take a By-Pass bus towards Pondicherry. Ask the driver for Auroville. The stop is Moratandi Toll Gate.
What’s included in your course fee
- Yoga teacher training manual, course materials
- Opening fire and purification ceremony at a nearby temple
- Closing graduation ceremony and certificate
- One sound healing session with a specialist
- Guided morning walks to explore Auroville (optional)
- Filtered water
- Free wi-fi
- Flight tickets and visas
- Accommodations (see below for info)
- Toiletries, e.g. soap, shampoo, sunscreen
- Yoga mat (bring your own, or buy one here)
Booking your accommodations
Accommodations are not included in the course fee. Auroville offers dozens of options for accommodations for you to choose from, either self-contained guesthouses or residential stays where you can experience living and sharing with members of Auroville and their families. You can book directly here: https://guesthouses.auroville.org.
Below, you can see just some examples of Auroville’s self-contained guesthouses, the Auromode Apartments. All rooms have hot and cold water shower, free wi-fi, air-conditioning, and a kitchenette where you can store and prepare your own food.
Scroll through slideshow
Auroville features restaurants serving almost every cuisine in the world and all of them are easily accessible within a short walking distance. The guesthouses each have a kitchenette where you can cook your own food. Water, tea and coffee are available in each room.
- Free Wi-fi
- Air conditioned rooms
- Yoga shala
- Bicycle rental
- Meditation garden
- Nearby beach
- Nearby outdoor swimming pool
Things to do
All Sundays are free days. Enjoy the swimming pool, explore our sustainable living community at Auroville, or rent a bicycle or moped to ride to the nearby beach or Pondicherry.
You can even spend your free time taking surfing lessons at the Kallialay Surf School of India or learning horseback riding at the Red Earth Riding School.
You can arrange your own day trips to nearby destinations such as a visit to Mahabalipuram UNESCO site, Chidambaram, Pitchavaram, the Gingee Fortress, and Vailankani.
- The beach — 5 kilometers
- Pondicherry — 10 kilometers
- Mahabalipuram — 75 kilometers
- Thiruvanamali Shiva Temple, Ramana Ashram, Vipassana Center – 75 kilometers
- Chidambaram golden temple — 75 kilometers
- Fossil tree park — 25 kilometers
- Chennai International Airport (MAA) — 130 kilometers